The Bozzuto Buzz is about coming together and connecting as a community—sharing our stories and using our voices to express the triumphs and challenges we face. In this issue, we are excited to share some upcoming events and updates.
Read These Stories
Join the Women@Bozzuto Resilience Series This March Introducing Belonging at Bozzuto Culture, Connection & Kindness: The Bozzuto ERGs See Who Is Leading Rise in Your Region Reminder: Employee Appreciation Day Celebration
Fostering Belonging Within Our Culture of Kindness: An Introduction by Julie Smith
It fills my heart with joy when associates tell me that they feel at home with Bozzuto. After 33 years with the company, I can certainly relate to that. That sense of belonging has always been foundational to our ability to deliver on our mission of creating sanctuary. We believe that we do our best work when we are free to bring our authentic selves to the effort. Fostering a company culture where everyone feels respected and empowered has been woven into our ethos as leaders. It is reflected in our core values. We have always been committed to building a company that honors diversity in an equitable and inclusive environment where everyone can grow personally as well as professionally. I’m proud of the impact that we have on our communities and each other as we expand upon our culture of kindness through efforts such as extending our employee resource groups and Rise by Bozzuto to all of our regions. Our recent Bozzuto Family Reunion hosted by SOUL to celebrate Black History Month was extraordinary. Hearing the stories of how our colleagues stay connected with their extended families was inspiring. We learn so much by sharing our life experiences. I’m pleased to announce the upcoming launch of an important Inclusionary Leadership Workshop we’ve been working on since last summer: Belonging at Bozzuto. As you will read in this issue of the Buzz, this program is designed to bring awareness to the unconscious biases we all have, and dive deeper into our personal journeys. The experience will be memorable and impactful, and leaders will gain actionable skills they can leverage during moments of truth where unconscious bias may be exhibited. There are so many Bozzuto associates who have played a role in creating and refining this program. I am grateful to everyone who facilitated the Courageous Conversations series, starred in the training videos, participated in the focus groups and tested the pilots. Your input and commitment serve to create a stronger and better Bozzuto. Thank you to everyone who has and will continue to be a part of this important journey.
Join the Women@Bozzuto Resilience Series This March
March is Women’s History Month and the Women@Bozzuto (W@B) employee resource group (ERG) is celebrating the resilience and resourcefulness of our Bozzuto family over the past year. Since the pandemic began, we have all had to chart new paths, conquer new challenges and navigate “new normals.” Through the W@B Resilience Series, a four-part series of virtual events, we will focus on our recent shared experiences of our lives during the pandemic and how we can continue living fulfilled personal and professional lives during this ever-changing time. Please join us for the following sessions centered around helping you thrive amid uncertainty:
- Mindful Meditation, Monday, March 15 at 4 p.m. EDT: Join us in kicking off our Resilience Series with a special meditation session with Francine Madera to wind down your day. RSVP here.
- Self-Care/Me Time, Friday, March 19 at 12:30 p.m. EDT: We will discuss how to manage stress and find time to recharge, as well as how to cope with and handle loss and illness during a pandemic. We’ll also talk about ways to combat boredom, navigate isolation and how to create new habits and hobbies. RSVP here.
- Caring for Others, Thursday, March 25 at 3 p.m. EDT: During this session, we’ll talk about caring for others, navigating partner/spouse relationships and staying connected. RSVP here.
- Professional Development & Charting New Paths, Tuesday March 30 at 12 p.m. EDT: Join us as we discuss what it’s like to start a new role or job during a pandemic, as well as how to thrive at work and find new ways to accomplish tasks. RSVP here.
Introducing Belonging at Bozzuto
Creating a safe workplace where you feel confident to be your most authentic self has always been one of our top priorities as a company—as leaders, colleagues and individuals we understand the value of diverse perspectives and an open mind. For years, we’ve fine-tuned our approach to continuously cultivate a workplace that celebrates diversity and builds upon our culture of kindness to ensure we’re providing this experience for you. Over the past year, we’ve been working with a third-party agency that specializes in diversity, equity and inclusion program development to create the next step in our process to become an even more welcoming, equitable and inclusive workplace—Belonging at Bozzuto. This emotional leadership training program is an immersive experience that will lead employees to reflect on our unconscious biases, teach applicable inclusive thought processes and behaviors, and provide actionable skills to use for meaningful discussions with team members from throughout the company. After completing the training, team members will come away with a more refined knowledge of how to engage in sensitive conversations and situations and support each other, both on and off the clock. The opportunity to participate in this important training will arrive this spring—keep an eye out for more information. Back to Top
Culture, Connection & Kindness: The Bozzuto ERGs
Maintaining a connection with one another is good for the soul—especially in an increasingly virtual world. Bozzuto’s employee resource groups (ERGs) give us the opportunity to do just that—interact with colleagues outside of our immediate teams and celebrate one other’s diverse backgrounds and interests. Find out which of our six ERGs have open leadership positions and upcoming events:
- Women @ Bozzuto invites you to join them for their Resilience Series, a four-part virtual event focusing on what life looks like during the pandemic. RSVP for the events held in celebration of Women’s History Month on Teleskope—where you can also join and learn more about the ERG in general.
- Young Professionals engages Bozzuto professionals through connection, development, inclusion and empowerment. Lead by the Young Professionals Northern Virginia chapter, the upcoming Discover Your Bozzuto Pen Pal Series, starting on March 4, 2021, will allow Bozzuto employees of varying locations, tenures and skillsets to connect with one another in a unique networking and mentorship opportunity. YP is also currently seeking individuals to join their Corporate Chapter, stationed in Greenbelt, Maryland, who are passionate about career pathing, mentorship and guiding others within their professional development to join their leadership team. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- LIFT, which provides support and empowerment for the LGBTQ+ community and allies at Bozzuto, is excited to bring awareness to International Transgender Day of Visibility with a guest speaker on March 31, 2021 at 4 p.m. EDT. We will celebrate our trans and non-binary friends and peers during a virtual event, in which britt walsh (they/them/theirs), the Director of Gender Affirming Services at Whitman-Walker Health, will speak about transgender/non-binary issues. RSVP here.
- SOUL, our Black/African/African American ERG, hosted a spectacular Bozzuto Family Reunion to celebrate Black History Month this February. During the virtual reunion, we heard incredible stories about what family means to SOUL members and guest speaker Joshua Shonubi—as well as reflections from President and CEO Toby Bozzuto and BMC President Stephanie Williams. If you missed it, watch the video recording here. SOUL is also excited to announce three new openings for leadership positions—co-chair, communications chair and regional leads. To learn more about these opportunities, please email email@example.com. You may have noticed members of SOUL wearing commemorative t-shirts during the Reunion. Great news—they are gauging company-wide interest in placing an order for more. Fill out this form to indicate your interest in purchasing one.
- VETS is proud to support our veteran and veteran spouse employees here at Bozzuto. Read stories about our colleagues who dedicated time to the military here. If you are a veteran or have a veteran spouse and would like to share your story, or become a member of VETS, email VETS@bozzuto.com.
- VIDA proudly promotes awareness and understanding of the Latino and Hispanic cultures for the purpose of innovation and community stewardship. Click here to join VIDA or email VIDA@bozzuto.com for more information.
See Who Is Leading Rise in Your Region
Rise by Bozzuto, our social impact program, unites our 2,800 associates and over 110,000 residents, with a platform that fosters fulfilling, collective impact. As Rise continues to grow and launch social impact initiatives in 2021, we are thrilled to share more about the leaders who are enacting Rise initiatives across the company. More than 60 associates have raised their hands to help lead Rise initiatives for their fellow team members, residents and partners in their region—a group known as our Community Champions. The reach of Rise by Bozzuto would not be possible without our Community Champions and Co-Chairs, who act as main points of contact for Rise initiatives within each region. The Community Champion team empowers our associates to continue making positive impacts in their communities by developing partnerships and opportunities for impact with nonprofit partners that align with the pillars of Rise: homelessness and housing, youth development and environmental impact. It’s crucial for us to track and report the amazing volunteer hours and donations you contribute so that we can see the impact of our collective efforts. You’re able to contribute to company-wide campaigns, donate to nonprofits or submit their volunteer hours all in one place—Bozzuto.Causecast.com. Log in to our tracking platform with your Bozzuto account, and watch this brief video tutorial to learn how to start tracking your impact today. Throughout the year, the Rise team and Community Champions launch exciting charitable opportunities within your region that you will track on Bozzuto.Causecast.com. Check out this list to see who the Rise Community Champion Co-Chairs are in your region: DMV
- Kristie Delauter
- Kelsey Sauve
- Liz Williams
- An open position is available. Email Kirkland Locey (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in leading Rise initiatives for the PA region.
- Pea Medina
- Charmaine Neriza Pequeno
- Rocio Simon
- Kristen Thompson
- Beth Argaman
- Alan Foresta
- Liridona Hoti
- Kyle Kunz
- Conny Matos
- Elly Radillo
- Miranda Saucier
Reminder: Employee Appreciation Day Celebration
Do you have kudos for a team member, a funny memory or a meaningful photo to share from your Bozzuto experience? Share your appreciation, memories and photos in real-time for your colleagues to see during the Bozzuto Employee Appreciation Day Celebration. Click here to share your kudos. Don’t forget to join our virtual, town hall-style celebration to applaud the great work of our Bozzuto associates with President and CEO Toby Bozzuto and the Bozzuto Operating Partners this Friday, March 5 at 12:30 p.m. EST. Click here to add the Zoom event to your calendar. Back to Top